Intelligent Transportation Systems
Regional ITS Architecture
The ITS Architecture Report was approved for submittal to FHWA in March 2005. (Download the PDF)
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) is a concept that shows how people and technology interact in order to improve the safety and efficiency of our region's transportation system. By Federal Mandate, an ITS Architecture that details these interactions must be completed at the national, state, and regional levels. CUUATS is responsible for creating and maintaining the Regional ITS Architecture for the Champaign-Urbana-Savoy Urbanized Area.
The CUUATS ITS Architecture provides a customized, detailed structure that facilitates interagency coordination and technical integration in support of ITS projects in our region. It shows how systems operate and how information exchanges occur between these systems and between the agencies that operate them.
The ITS Architecture promotes:
- system efficiency and effectiveness
- interagency coordination
- a coordinated basis for identifying and planning future systems
- data and knowledge sharing that can avoid duplicative efforts
1. allowing agencies to coordinate the purchase of new technologies, and
2. not duplicating staff time for similar activities
For more information about the Regional ITS Architecture, contact Rita Black, CUUATS Transportation Planning Manager, via email or at 217-328-3313.