Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP)
Eligibility is determined by family size and household income in accordance with federal guidelines. Weatherization services are free to households that:
- Are eligible for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
- Have an occupant receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Familes (TANF), Aid to Aged Blind and Disabled (AABD); or
- The household annual income meets the 200% Poverty Guideline.
Renters may be assisted if they are eligible and the landlord agrees to the program terms. A landlord contribution for weatherization work is required for rental property.
How to Apply
CCRPC is now taking applications for Champaign County residents. Call (217) 384-1226 for an appointment at a location near you.
Champaign County Regional Planning Commission
1776 E. Washington St., Urbana, IL 61802
2212 N. Market St., Champaign, IL 61822
Community Service Center of Northern Champaign County
520 E. Wabash Ave., Rantoul, IL 61866
Please bring with you:
- Proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Recent gas and electric bill (disconnect notice if within 7 days of disconnection) or rent agreement if utilities are included in rent
- Recent medical cards, if anyone receives this benefit
- Copy of title or deed to your home
- A person contacts the Regional Planning Commission at (217) 384-1226 and an application is made.
- The agency determines if the household is income-eligible and notifies them within 30 days after all the required documentation has been received.
- If the household is eligible, one of the trained agency staff will assess the home and conduct an energy audit (survey) that will determine what work can be done to save the most energy.
- The work to be done on your home will be scheduled and the agency will contact you to arrange a time for the weatherization work to begin.
- Experienced workers using the work order generated ftom a computerized audit will apply the appropriate materials to your home.
- The home is inspected to make sure the work is complete and correct.
Phone: (217) 819-4058
Fax: (217) 328-2426